CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Giving Thanks

This is the first Thanksgiving I've gone home in the past 4 years and it was a bit more hectic than expected. My mom's been asking me to drive her everywhere every time I come since I've started driving.. and it's not like I can say no! All I really wanted to do this break was sit in a coffee shop and catch up on all the work that's piled up but probably only spent 4 hours at Starbucks. What a waste too cause I found out that the Laurel Village Starbucks is open 24 hours!

Thanksgiving Day: Woke up early to run the Turkey Trail Trot with Jim! Our goal was to finish the 5 miles in under 1 hour. I practically drank an entire bottle of water before the race and didn't think to use the bathroom BEFORE the race.. so we stopped at the bathrooms about 1/2 mi into the race. Still managed to finish in 56.11 minutes! Race results:

483 127/175  LISA ZHAO    21 F SAN FRANCISCO     56:11 11:15
484 61/73 JIM LUI 21 M SAN FRANCISCO 56:11 11:15

Out of 676. Important thing is we beat our goal!!
Then we got the camera to take a photo with the happy turkey.
(Thanks Jim for the pic)



Afterward we picked up Liz and tried out this new Pho place where the lady spoke CHINESE to us the entire time! That's never happened to me before... most people would just assume that 3 young Asians are too Americanized to know any Chinese. Spent the rest of the afternoon with family and saw my paternal grandparents who we haven't seen in 6 years. Needless to say, awkward family social.

Other highlights from the weekend:
- watching BOLT in 3D!! Hilarious movie and definitely worth watching, not sure what the fuss was about crying though... C'mon guys, it's a DISNEY movie!

- discovering a local ice cream shop called "Bi-Rite Creamery" next to Dolores Park. Made with organic materials and served in compost-able cups, and they provide the green bin!! Awesome flavors and a friendly staff too with an absolutely cute sitting area with benches surrounding a tree w/ the perfect lighting! we had to wait in line for about 20 mins or so but that's gotta say something about the place yea? Thanks Brandon for finding the place =)

- my sister's 6 month old half poodle/half jack russell terrier named Ellie. She's sooo hyper active, friendly, and cute! I love taking her on walks. When she's really tired at night I go to pet her and she'll roll right over for me to scratch her tummy instead.

- i was too lazy wake up early for black friday this year and plus i didn't have anything to buy. hit up target in the afternoon for $70 worth of dvds! I can't wait for THE OFFICE marathon during winter break!!! YAY!

- made it back in time from home to watch UCLA vs. Florida International in basketball. sooo glad I got to see Spencer Soo, 5'8" half asian guard make the 3 point shot at the buzzer! GO SPENCER SOO!

- tried furaibo for the first time and it's delicious, especially the soft shelled crab. finally got to sake bomb w/ gary, something we've been talking about for months now! i'll be the dd next time guys, i think it's my turn to walk someone home for once.

- i just installed gchat's video chat app. pretty awesome!! now i won't have to wait months to see people!


That's about the jist of my break. Hope everyone else had a great time. Time to start studying for finals!

0 comments: